Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Saving Juliet by Suzanne Selfors

Lady Capulet grimaced. "Young ladies are incapable of taking care of themselves. Young ladies must be directed. There is only one thing to be done. Since your mother is dead, I shall take her place. While you are here I shall act as your new mother." She placed an ice-cold hand on my shoulder.
Oh, no thank you. Because you scare the crap out of me. You really do.
You know those girls who dream of becoming famous? Of being on stage and being actresses? Yeah... Mimi Wallingford doesn't. She's been acting in Shakespeare plays since she was old enough to be on stage, and she hasn't stopped. She's seventeen now. Seventeen and never gone to a regular school. Seventeen and never gone on a date. Seventeen and didn't have a best friend. Seventeen and hadn't had her first kiss. Wait. She had. With Troy- a jerk who plays Romeo in the Wallinford production of "Romeo and Juliet". In which Mimi plays- you guessed it- Juliet. When she storms out of the the theater and breaks a charm, she and Troy are transported back to the time of the Capulets and Montagues. While she's there she meets Juliet and becomes her friend. But what about the ending? If Mimi changes it- if Romeo and Juliet don't die- if it never happens- will Troy and Mimi ever get home?
She cried for a bit and I kept hold of her hands. Shakespeare may have created this predicament but I was the one who could change it. I wasn't going to let this girl kill herself. Even if it meant that I had to stay in this dream for a very long time. I was determined not to wake up until Juliet got her happy ending. One of us deserved a happy ending. "I do not wish to get married," she pleaded, squeezing my fingers.
The title of this book was what first caught my attention. I don't know about you, but when I hear the name "Juliet" I immediately think of "Romeo and Juliet". And "Saving Juliet" definitely sounds interesting. It makes the book sound like what it is- someone saving Juliet and Romeo from their sad ending. I really liked this book. It had likable characters (You go Juliet with gravity defying hair!) and a good plot line. I also liked the ending- it wasn't as good as some of the ones that I've read, but it definitely gave me at least a little of that "this book is DONE" feeling. Four and a half stars out of five.
While the microwave hummed I pulled off my hat and started muttering to myself, a perfectly normal thing to do when there's no one else to talk to. Solitary muttering allows you to say all those things you don't have the courage to say to all those people who are driving you nuts. I told Clarissa she had no right to judge me. I told Troy he was a jerk for making me think that I actually "liked" him. I told my mother to stop controlling my life. I told my father I would never forgive him for dying so young and leaving us with that cruddy theater. And I told William Shakespeare that Romeo and Juliet totally sucks because everybody just dies and none of the characters get what they want. What kind of ending is that, anyway?

No comments: